Friday, November 27, 2009

Thankful

I have so many reasons to be thankful...and most of them are rolled up in my amazing husband, Marcus. I have trouble even finding the words to describe how much he completes me, and it what ways. Whatever life has to throw at us, I know I can count on him...not to do the minimum, but to go beyond it, thinking ahead and giving it every possible effort. Tonight, for instance, when it looked like our fridge wasn't working, he made attempts to fix it himself (to no avail), packaged up all the food, made several trips to our downstairs deep freezer, and has been checking on the temperature of the fridge periodically all night. He cooked the entire Thanksgiving meal...and did all the dishes, while I was taking care of the baby and entertaining my Dad and sister. He even washed the gross roaster pan and sticky mashed potato dish. The most impressive thing is that I didn't have to ask him to do any of it.

I truly rely on him. It scares me a bit how much I do. I sometimes let my mind wander to what my life would be like if he were taken from me. Everything I rely on him for...how he completes my thoughts...how he takes care of me, the house, the cars, the yard, our children, our dog...our life. There are so many things that he does and that are a priority for him that simply don't enter my mind. Without him, I know they wouldn't happen. Not only would I be incredibly lonely without him, I think everything around me would fall apart.

We enjoy each other and with him I share a love that I can only compare to that of fairy tales and classic love stories. When we met, I thought he was gorgeous, so intelligent, a little strange...and completely out of my league. He was in a fraternity and I had this rather naive vision of what that meant and if I could mingle with that crowd. Obviously, I got past that...and so began a love affair, complete with love letters, occasional dates, flowers, countless late night conversations, and intimate moments. We don't lie to each other and we rarely fight. We think so much alike on the major issues and the same things excite us...a night at home bottle of wine and good TV, indulging our children, making holidays memorable, cooking together, entertaining, making our home beautiful...and I find that whatever differences we do have are a compliment to each other. We fell in love pretty hard and fast...it was just so easy. I've never doubted him or how he feels about me. Never.

I am thankful for him, and although I make every effort to communicate that to him with my words and actions, I don't think he realizes just how much I appreciate and love him. He gives my life a purpose...to be with him and be a mother to our beautiful children. I am blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is just lovely. Having the right partner makes all the difference, doesn't it? I hope you share this with him. :)

--Amy

AngieB said...

What a beautiful post, Betsy. How blessed you are to have each other. :) Whenever we have a group get together, I am always struck by the quality -- and qualities -- of the men in the room. It's wonderful that like you, we have amazing men to love and love us, be fathers to our children, and nurture and provide for our families in all the ways that are most important. And all these things are easily seen when looking at you and Marcus.