Saturday, December 5, 2009

moments

Today I was reading a magazine article (while pumping) that inspired me. It was a compilation of reflections by several writers on their favorite time of day. Most of them chose an actual time...and described so eloquently how their life at those times was special or fulfilling. The actual moments they described didn't resonate with me, really...since they are writers, their work lifestyle was polar opposite to my office gig...one described how she procrastinates and starts to work around noon. Many of them lived in a city, too...so I couldn't relate to walking from my house to the corner coffee shop in the morning and sit for an hour reading the paper sipping on gourmet coffee. What I found inspiring was considering the moments that I love and relishing them. So here are a few of my favorite moments...

  • when I hear the garage door open on Wednesday nights and I know Marcus is home
  • when Doppler (our charming dog) curls up to sleep on my feet...especially on a chilly evening
  • weekend mornings when I wake and realize that Marcus has kept the kids downstairs so that I can sleep in...I linger a bit longer between sleep and awake to take advantage of the last moments of peace before the day begins
  • when I'm driving by myself - I listen to my favorite music...loud...and sing...and I can set the temperature to whatever I want...my own little kingdom
  • when my little Hazel puts her hands on either side of my face when we're snuggling...she reaches out so purposefully and smiles as she successfully reaches my cheeks
  • when I cross something off my mental list
  • when I kiss Calvin goodnight - I crawl into bed with him, more snuggling, and we decide what kind of dreams he wants to have...sweet dreams...spicy dreams...sour dreams...
  • when I've given a presentation of work and I know I've nailed it
  • when Violet and I go shopping or crafting...and catch myself asking for her opinion because I really want to know...we're hanging out together and I realize just how grown up she really is
  • time with my very best friends...the Sprite girls...talking, drinking wine, eating, and generally being the amazing women we are together in one room
  • middle of the night reflection, when its peacefully quiet in the house and I am free to selfishly focus on me
  • when I crawl into bed and Marcus holds me while I fall asleep...his arms are so comforting, loving

No comments: