Saturday, November 7, 2009

Nimble Fingers

A few years ago, I asked for knitting needles and an instructional book for Christmas. I had been entertaining this idea that I wanted to learn to knit. The idea of making something beautiful from a piece of yarn intrigued me, and I thought I could create something with utility. My mom, who is talented in all things domestic, heeded the call and got me started. She bought me the most beautiful yarn and bamboo knitting needles...and she dug out her old knitting pattern books to pass along to me. She sat with my while I fumbled through my first rows of garter stitches on what turned out to be a beautiful scarf I still wear today. I must admit...I was a natural. I had a rather even stitch right from the start. And now, knitting has become a bona fide hobby for me.

After finishing my scarf, I made a few other things. I found this simply adorable pattern for an infant hat with an upside down daisy as the topper. This pattern has made it into my repertoire and I've made it a couple times for friends having baby girls. I made each of my kids a washcloth...a nice short project. I had steered clear of garments for awhile...fearful, I suppose, that after all the work was done, the product wouldn't look right. My first BIG project was a long sweater coat that I made for myself. My dear husband went out and bought my supplies. He knew I wanted a new project and did the shopping for me. He truly is an amazing man...when you find a guy willing to brave the craft stores, picking out yarn and knitting needles...you know you've got a keeper. Anyway, I worked for an extremely long time on this coat using a soft, charcoal gray yarn. I had in my mind that it would be fabulous. I would wear it everywhere...and people would ask, "Where did you get that gorgeous sweater?"...and I would reply, "Oh, actually, I made it." It would be a personal triumph. Alas, this would not be my best work. In fact, my sweater turned out to be quite an abomination. I made it much, much to big. This coupled with the looseness of the yarn produced a jacket that stretches to my mid shin in the front, but remains the correct length in the back. I would characterize it as a wearable blanket...its not quite the posh fashion statement that I was hoping for. But, I did finish it and it is wearable for around the house on a chilly day. My son loves how cozy it is...its mommy's special sweater...and he is always willing to fetch it for me or snuggle in it with me. For these reasons, it may be my favorite piece I've ever made.

Since the sweater coat debacle, I've made a felted handbag and a children's sweater for Violet. These both turned out well, so I suppose I've redeemed myself. About a year ago. I started to knit a sweater and hat set for the daughter that not yet was. I was pregnant for Hazy and I knew that I wanted to knit something special for her. I just finished it...and it really looks amazing. I love the color...I love the pattern...I love how warm it is...I love how it looks on her. The pattern came from one of those old knitting books my mom had found, so it has that vintage 1960's look to it. Fantastic.



It really is a wonderful feeling to accomplish something you've started. Knitting for me is something I can pick up anytime, anywhere and do just a little or do a lot. With every row, I've made progress. When so many things in my life seem to be unfinished, it is so rewarding to make even a little progress toward something beautiful.



2 comments:

Kellie said...

AMAZING, Betsy. You are a natural. I so wish Anna's hat still fit her that you knitted for her. It was so cute. I need you to come help me...unfortunately, I'm not a natural. But, I am determined to keep at it.

Anonymous said...

This is a great entry, Bets. The final photo brought a big smile to my face!

Perhaps your gray sweater-blanket is actually a homemade Snuggie! ;)

--Amy