Sunday, November 22, 2009

oh calvin, my calvin

What a joy it is to have a son. It was tough to get used to the idea, at first. Being one of two girls growing up in my home, I was only familiar with sisterly relationships with siblings. When I read the ultrasound picture of my little Calvin and saw the word "boy"...I was nervous...not sure if this was good news. How silly I was to even entertain these doubts.



Calvin is 3 years old, but will soon be 4. He's all boy...sweet as can be one minute and devilish the next. Marcus and I succumb quite easily to his charm, sometimes to Violet's detriment. Now that he's grown out of babyhood, every day he's learning more about who he is. I'm along for the ride on his path to self discovery, learning along with him. I feel that compared to Violet, who I know and can predict, I'm just getting to know this little man. So far, he doesn't gravitate to particular likes and dislikes...aside from his treasured "Bear". He doesn't particularly like to color or create...he loses interest in imaginative play...and there aren't particular toy types he focuses on. But, we have noticed that even from a very young age, Calvin wants to figure out how things work. He asks so many questions about the built environment and the human body. "Why is that light flashing?" "Tell me again about how eyes work." "How does the guitar string make sound?" I'm always so impressed how he formulates hypotheses about how the world functions around him and asks very smart questions. His innate curiosity is impressive...exhausting, but impressive.


Violet and he are such buddies - it has been a blessing since Hazel arrived that we can count on them to entertain each other. Usually, their play is without incident...but there are times when Calvin rejects Violet's directions. I don't blame him. I was the bossy older sister once and watching this interaction in my own children, I can see how the younger's frustration and need for independent thought and validation can push them to the point of acting out. We do our best to reign in Violet and have Calvin lead...but it is a struggle sometimes to maintain fairness.


He says that he wants to either be a chef or a pediatrician when he grows up. I just hope that we teach him to be a good man...a dedicated, respectful, loving man. I delight in my role toward this, and I love getting to know my Calvin...my spinny-ride partner...my wearing-socks-to-bed partner...my darling little boy.

No comments: