Sunday, January 24, 2010

the plague

First it was Calvin...then Marcus...now Violet. My home has been hit with a stomach bug marked by shivers, vomiting, and lethargy.  I've been playing nursemaid all weekend, precluding any progress on the multitude of unfinished projects that keep piling up around me or the house cleaning that so desperately needs to be done.

It always amazes me how my husband, who generally can handle most things, gets incredibly needy when he gets sick.  He's always been a bit of a hypochondriac, finding the littlest symptom and worrying that it is indicative of cancer.  And whenever it's a bona fide illness, he just succumbs.  He's been fighting this stomach thing since Friday afternoon...was nauseous all night...and spent most of Saturday combating a headache and extreme tiredness.  I don't begrudge him any of the attention he needs and deserves while he is sick, and in fact, I like that I can take care of him when he needs me.  However, I wonder sometimes if his symptoms are exaggerated a bit.  Not on purpose to get attention or anything...just exaggerated in his own mind due to his constant worrying.  Regardless, I certainly owe him as much TLC as I can generate - he was my savior during all my pregnancies, and especially with this last one when I was nauseous with morning sickness for about 6 months.  I just hope that tomorrow doesn't bring symptoms of this for Hazy and I, making this weekend a total bust. 

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Ugh..I'm so sorry Bets. Anna had a bug like this a couple of weeks ago with diarrhea and vomiting and it was miserable. Hers was Rotavirus though and lasted an entire week. I was glad Blake didn't get it...he's kinda the same way when he gets sick! Hope you're all better soon.